The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) provides mental health services to patients with a wide range of mental disorders to include intermittent or persistent mental illness, behavioral health concerns and substance use disorders. The PMHNP will work in collaboration with staff, Licensed Providers and allied health professionals within Westside Family Healthcare (WFH) and the local community to plan and coordinate care and access to the appropriate behavioral health professional.
1. Provides support and counseling interventions that assist individuals to: improve or regain previous coping abilities, achieve independence and increase productivity, foster mental health and prevent mental illness or disability
2. Provides assessment, consultation, and brief intervention for psychiatric or behavioral health problems or disorders
3. Ability to perform accurate and timely assessment to identify 'at risk' individuals or the need for crisis intervention
4. Provides case management by monitoring case load in order to provide comprehensive health services and ensure continuity and smooth transitions of care.
5. Provides appropriate referrals to individual, group and family psychotherapy and other therapeutic treatments as needed to assist in preventing mental illness and disability; treatment of identified mental health disorders, and development of treatment plans that improve mental health status and functional abilities.
6. Provides psychopharmacology interventions to include prescribing medications, ordering and interpreting diagnostic studies and lab tests, with attention to comorbid illness and medication reconciliation.
7. Intentionally seeks and evaluates specific therapeutic responses to psychobiological interventions and psychoactive medications. Anticipates side effects, safeguards against adverse drug interventions, and is alert for unintended toxic effects.
8. Uses prescriptive authority, procedures, and treatments in accordance with state and federal laws and regulations and in accordance with WFH policy. Follows up to date evidence-based practice guidelines to treat symptoms of psychiatric illness and improve functional health status of patients.
9. Communicates treatment plan and provides consultation to WFH providers to support education, enhancement of integrated care model and achieve the most optimal outcome for patients.
10. Maintains accurate records, medication lists, and documentation of care within the EHR; documents treatment plan clearly and uses proper billing codes and closes charts in a timely manner
11. Works with all members of the health care team including students to provide the best treatment plan for patients
12. Provides consultation-liaison activities which focus on the emotional, spiritual, developmental, cognitive, and behavioral responses of persons served who enter any setting of the health care system with actual or potential psychological dysfunction. The consultation may include consultation with nurses or providers in other specialty areas as well as assessment and recommendations for action with a focus on optimizing behavioral health.
13. Abides by and enforces all organization, state and federal regulations related to Confidentiality, Patient Rights, and Infection Control.
14. Works with other WFH staff to evaluate and resolve problems related to Risk Management, Utilization Review and Quality Improvement.
15. Maintains competence in clinical practice with participation in continuing educational experiences and completes required CME training to maintain licensure and certification
16. Participates in the clinical education and training of staff when necessary.
17. Participates in WFH performance improvement activities, community education and outreach programs
Minimum Objective Qualifications
1. Graduate of an accredited school or college of nursing with a Master’s Degree in Nursing
2. Current Registered Nurse licensure and Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Licensure (APRN) with a Certification in Mental Health
3. Delaware state licensure with prescriptive privileges
4. Board certified in psychiatric mental health
5. Possesses clinical competency in counseling, health education, healthcare consulting and psychopharmacology and management of psychiatric emergency crisis stabilization
6. Strong communication and organizational skills required
7. Cultural competence necessary
8. Basic life support certification
9. Ability to travel between worksites
Preferred Objective Qualifications
1. Clinical training and experience in ambulatory care in a community healthcare setting
2. Fluency in written and spoken English and in spoken Spanish, including medical terminology
Other Important Information
Important personal characteristics for this position include integrity, dependability, concern for others, and attention to detail, cooperativeness, self-control, analytical thinking, social orientation, independence and stress tolerance. Travel is primarily local during the workday. Office hours are between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays. The FLSA classification of this position is exempt.
Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, Tuition Reimbursement, etc.